Tuesday, June 26, 2012

First Day!

 
We had an excellent time this morning. If I may, I would like to name some folks who deserve special recognition: Francetta Peterson asked me to help her with the creative arts portion of her Indy Parks Summer Supervised Play program at our first Innovate Indy Summit and I was more than happy to lend her a hand. We have had textile materials support from Carol Wellman of My Sister's Place and I was thrilled when Vic Welch of Moeller Printing called me and said he had 20,000 sheets of drawing paper for us. Alvin Sangsuwangul has been unbelievable with his efforts at Innovate Indy, assisting Francetta and myself and I am so happy to have him as my friend and colleague. I appreciate Tom Weidenbach of Indy Parks for his support also. My neighbor Tammy helped us immensely this morning with set up and I don't know what we would have done with out her assistance. George Brookins and Payton Gaw were also instrumental in setting up camp this morning and assisting campers with their projects.

 We had approximately 38 campers in attendance today and I was so happy with this group. They are such good kids! We have actors and actresses, painters, builders, illustrators, storytellers, acrobats, jewelry makers, marble run engineers and they are all full of immense levels of energy!!
We started our camp today talking about how to set up a work space and where to access materials. The children then viewed a demo on circle geometry, mandala design, experimental drawing, drawing from observation and marble run engineering. It was time to begin work, and away we went. 
















After a cookie break, the children discovered the costume bag. All of a sudden, the children's focus shifted to theatre and dance!



Tomorrow we are going to continue our investigations of story telling and performance art. We are also going to look at beading, building taller launch towers for our marble runs, and investigate the art library. Looking forward to more action tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment